But with all these improvements, life science innovators are challenged to explain these advances to the non-scientist. Physicians, patients, caregivers, and investors need help understanding these complex technologies.
Infographics to the RescueA picture is worth a thousand words. An infographic (information graphic) is a representation of information in a graphic format designed to make the data easily understandable at a glance. Infographics can also simplify large amounts of data, graphically reveal data patterns and relationships and show data variables over time. Infographics predate writing as a means of disseminating information -- cave drawings are probably the earliest known example. People were also creating and using maps before the advent of written language.
Thankfully the proliferation of smart-phone technology and an almost universal access to digital media channels, provides an ideal palate for infographics. Digital media channels enable the development of infographics combined with the powerful benefit of liking, sharing, commenting and dialogue.
Top 5 free Infographic ToolsThankfully a plethora of tools exist to help you get started making your own infographics.
- Canva: Canva helps make design simple. Whether you’re a design newbie or a seasoned professional, Canva makes creating designs and documents easy through its collection of professionally-designed layouts.
- Infogram: Infogram offers over 35 interactive charts and more than 500 maps to help you visualize your data. Create a variety of charts including column, bar, pie, or word cloud. You can also add a map to your infographic or report.
- Visme: Visme helps turn static infographics into interactive infographics with built-in animations. When you share your infographic as a URL, visitors will see the animated infographic upon visiting and as they scroll down the page depending on the animations you have set.
- Venngage: Venngage is focused on infographics. Unlike many other services who offer to create slideshows, reports, and wireframes, Venngage promises that it can help you to create a beautiful infographic in just three easy steps.
- Piktochart: There's a team of designers behind Piktochart’s 500 infographic templates. Templates are updated on a weekly basis and include icons, photos/videos, charts, and maps that you can drag and drop into your infographic – there's no need to search around the web for hours to find what you need.